2018 BD Outdoors Yellowtail Shootout
Presented by Costa
June 22 – 24, 2018
1. It is the Team Captains responsibility to read and fully understand the rules before the start of the Tournament. It is the responsibility of the Captain to ensure his team members and boat are fishing within the Tournament Rules. Any breach of these rules by ANY team member or captain will result in TEAM Disqualification.
2. The Entry Fee for the Tournament is $325 USD per team of up to three (3) Anglers, additional anglers may be added to the team for $100 USD each when paid in full by June 15, 2018. After June 15, 2018, the team registration fee will be $400 and $125 per additional angler and includes anglers registered at the captains meeting. There will be a maximum of six (6) Anglers per team. Every person on competing boats shall be considered an Angler. All passengers aboard a competing vessel must be PAID Tournament Anglers, no spectators/guests are allowed.
NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN AFTER JUNE 15, 2018
It is the Captains responsibility to contact email@example.com for a refund before June 15, 2018. One team member shall be designated as Team Captain. Team Captains may reserve paid angler slots at the time of registration, but must have the angler names and contact information submitted before the end of the Captains Meeting on June 22, 2018. To register additional Anglers that have not yet been determined please fill out the angler spaces as TBA. Angler fees must be paid at the time of registration and final Angler info can be submitted at the Captains Meeting.
Each boat may have up to a maximum of six (6) anglers. Non-fishing crew or guests will not be allowed. One team member shall be designated as Team Captain.
3. Captains Meeting – Team Captains must report to the mandatory Captains Meeting on Friday, June 22, 2018 between 6:00PM – 8:00PM PDT. The Captains Meeting will be held at:
Dana Landing Market and Fuel Dock
San Diego, CA 92109
Captains must submit final registration information for the entire team if any changes are needed before 8:00PM PDT on June 22, 2018 at the Captains Meeting.
Failure to check in before the end of the captains meeting at 8:00PM PDT will result in immediate disqualification and no refund will be issued for any reason.
The Tournament Committee reserves the right to refuse entry or remove any person or team at any time at their sole discretion.
4. Teams may make registration changes, if necessary, provided Tournament Control is notified before the end of the Captains Meeting. Teams may substitute boats, if necessary, provided Tournament Control is notified before the end of the Captains Meeting. Please try to make all changes in ADVANCE of the Captains meeting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Tournament boats may depart from Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, Oceanside Harbor, Dana Point Harbor or Newport Harbor but must weigh in Mission Bay or San Diego before returning to port.
6. VHF Channels –Tournament boats shall monitor Channel 68 during weigh in hours.
7. Start of Tournament – Lines-in shall be Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 5:00AM PDT.
8. Making Bait – Bait fishing is allowed before lines-in. No other lure, jig, or line specifically rigged for any gamefish is allowed in the water before lines-in. Any Yellowtail by-catch must be released.
9. Weigh-in – All fish must be weighed at an official tournament weight station at either Dana Landing Fuel Dock or Harbor Island West Fuel Dock in SD Bay between 2:00PM and 6:00PM PDT on the tournament day. ANY FISH CAUGHT BUT NOT WEIGHED IN BY 6:00PM PDT TOURNAMENT DAY SHALL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN.
The Weight Rules are as follows:
• Each team may weigh up to five (5) fish
• Fish must be brought to the scales on the boat on which they were caught (no walk ups). Walking a fish
up will result in TEAM disqualification
• Boats lined up to weigh will be served in the order in which they arrive
• Fish must arrive at the dock in whole edible condition
• The Team Captain must remain with the fish throughout the weigh-in process
• Boats must be in line and out of gear at exactly 6pm to qualify
• The Teams weigh time will be recorded when the tournament official is handed the teams camera. This time will be used to break any ties in fish weight with other teams. (see Rule 11)
• Before leaving the scales, the Team Captain must verify weight information and sign the official Weigh-In Slip
10. Cameras – In order to maintain tournament integrity each boat will be given an Official Tournament Camera. Upon lines-in a picture must be taken of an object that will be announced at the Captains Meeting. Camera instructions will be provided with the camera at the Captains Meeting. Teams will be subject to disqualification if the camera rules are not followed correctly.
Every qualifying fish must have a picture with the angler and the fish in the picture.
Upon weighing in, the Official Tournament Camera must be returned at the tournament weigh-in location.
Cameras containing winning fish will be developed before the following day’s Awards Banquet. No payouts will be given until the BD Outdoors Yellowtail Shootout Committee has picture verification and/or a polygraph test is completed.
11. Tie-Breaker Rule – In the event that two or more combined fish totals or individual fish have identical weights, the first fish brought to the dock and weighed will be awarded the higher place should both fish be in top prize spots. Both weigh stations will be equipped with digital clocks that are synced to the same time.
12. Weight determination – Total team weight will be calculated by the three (3) heaviest fish per team. Teams do NOT need 3 fish to qualify for any prize placement or jackpots. For example, a team weighing 1 fish of 40lbs will win over any team weight 2 or 3 fish with a total combined weight under 40lbs.
12b. Biggest Fish – The single heaviest fish per team will qualify for the Biggest Fish optional jackpot (See Rule 14).
13. Purse – Total Purse shall be paid to the winning team with the heaviest combined total of up to 3 Yellowtail.
|1st Place||$5,000||+ Prizes TBD|
|2nd Place||$2,500||+ Prizes TBD|
|3rd Place||$1,000||+ Prizes TBD|
|4th Place||$750||+ Prizes TBD|
|5th Place||$500||+ Prizes TBD|
|Big Fish||Prizes TBD|
*Total Purse is based upon 100 teams participating. If less than 100 boats enter, the payouts will be adjusted proportionally.
14. Optional Jackpots – There will be four (4) separate optional side team jackpots of $100 Biggest Fish, $100, $200 and $300 USD for the heaviest combined total of up to three (3) Yellowtail. Participation in the jackpots is available to all interested teams, but is NOT mandatory. The Side Jackpots are WINNER TAKE ALL format. Jackpots are 85% payback. If no qualifying Yellowtail are caught for any of the three jackpots, 85% of that jackpot’s fees will be returned to the respective teams. Side Jackpot fees may be paid in advance with Entry Fee or paid at the Captains Meeting. If paying the jackpot fees at the Captains Meeting, you MUST pay by cash, cashier’s check (payable to BD Outdoors, LLC) or credit card.
- TowBoatUS San Diego will have two jackpots
- $2500 for the largest tuna
- $2500 for the largest Yellowtail for a team with a BoatUS membership
15. All anglers must have a valid California and/or Mexican fishing license and observe ALL California and Mexican regulations.
16. IGFA rules will apply in the Tournament unless specifically modified in this document. IGFA rules are incorporated herein by reference.
17. The use of spearguns, harpoons, entangling devices or firearms is prohibited. Use of spotter planes or contact with commercial fishing vessels is prohibited.
18. Boundaries – The fishing boundaries shall be within 100 nautical miles of the Point Loma Lighthouse.
19. In the event of rough seas or weather, the Tournament may be postponed until conditions permit and at the discretion of the “Tournament Committee”. In the event that the fishing must be postponed, the After Party will go on at its regular date of June 24, 2018.
20. Accepting fish or bait from another source, boat or otherwise, live or dead, is prohibited. The only exception being commercial bait boats or bait barges.
21. Weighing fish caught during non-tournament days and/or placing any foreign substance/object inside a weighed fish shall be automatic grounds for disqualification from the Tournament.
Any anglers attempting to defraud the tournament will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of California law.
22. Any intent of protesting a violation of the Tournament Rules must be made in writing to the Tournament Committee on the day of the alleged violation. If there is any disagreement, controversy or necessary clarification of any tournament rules, the final decision will be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Committee.
23. No one under 18 years of age may participate in the tournament unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.
24. The Tournament Committee or BDOutdoors LLC is not responsible for the actions, of any persons in the operation boats, conduct of fishing endeavors, transfer of personnel, fishing equipment or personal property on or off boats, docks or otherwise. Each participant assumes all risk and liabilities in connection with their participation. There will be no responsibility borne to any of the promoters, event organizers or sponsors as a result of inappropriate conduct by any of the participants or guests and that each individual participant will hold harmless The Tournament Committee and BDOutdoors LLC.
25. Polygraph Examination – All registered participants agree to submit to a polygraph examination if requested to do so by the Tournament Committee. Failure to comply will result in the disqualification of the participant and his or her entire team. Disqualified participants and/or teams forfeit any and all entry money, prizes, prize money or jackpot money, and are refused entry to future BD Outdoors tournaments. The decision of the Tournament Committee is final.
26. Cash Awards – Prize payouts will be made payable to the person or persons selected by the Team Captain. Prize checks will only be paid upon receipt of: 1) Proof of identification
2) Copy of social security card or Taxpayer ID number and 3) A completed IRS Form W4 or applicable IRS form from each of the requested payees.
All payments will be made within 30 days of end of tournament.
27. Raffle – The after party raffle is for anglers of the BD Outdoors Yellowtail Shootout only. Only 1 raffle ticket per angler per team will be given at the After Party. Angler must be present at the After Party to participate.
Infringement of these rules shall be considered cause for disqualification. FINAL interpretation of these rules shall be left exclusively to the Tournament Committee.
For any questions related to the tournament rules, contact email@example.com
9195 Chesapeake Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Rules updated April 18, 2018